Feature walls. *Sigh* I LOVE LOVE LOVE them.
I could go on for days about why feature walls are so fabulous!
Not only do they break up the monotony of an otherwise standard house, but they catch the eye and create instant interest. They bring your personality and your creativity right into your home.
Now, as with all things in interiors, there is something of an art to feature walls. They do need a little forethought and finesse, but with the right inspiration, anyone can have an appealing and classy feature wall in their home.
Let’s look at all the different varieties you can go for when you’re installing one of these babies:
- Block colours. You pick a vibrant colour and coat the whole wall in it.
- Prints (aka decals). Choose a classy, timeless print and apply it to a single section of the wall.
- Wallpaper. It’s having a renaissance and there are hundreds of gorgeous options.
- Texture. Using sponging, splatter or layering can give the wall a very 3D feel.
- Added materials. Layering the wall over with stone, wood or other organic materials is very on-trend and really connects your home to the earth.
These are just a few ideas. You could commission an artist to create a masterpiece on the wall, or you could let your teenager loose with a spray can (if you were feeling very trusting!).
Feature walls are found in some of the world’s most interesting and distinguished homes. They immediately separate your home from the drab and predictable housing most people resign themselves to living in.
You don’t want to live in a boring, run-of-the-mill home, do you?
Of course not!
So, I insist that you start thinking about what kind of feature wall you want in your home. What kind of decor do you have already? What’s your personality?
If your decor is vibrant and eclectic…
Go for a stark, contrasting wall to accentuate your feature pieces.
If your decor is conservative and muted…
Do something huge and radical to draw the eye.
If your decor is interesting but not wild, go for something textured or with added materials to draw everything together.